- Administrative Bureau
- About the Administrative Bureau
- Administrative Division
- Administrative Services Division
- About the Administrative Services Division
- Field Services
- Records Section
- Bail Agent Registration
- Business License
- CARFAX Accident Reports
- Case Requests
- Concealed Weapons Permits (CCW)
- Convicted Persons Registrations
- Criminal History Requests
- Embassy Letters
- Sex Offender/Crimes Against Children Registration
- Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) - For Law Enforcement Personnel Only
- Marijuana Registration Card
- Photo Requests
- Fee Schedule
- Work Permits
- Community Engagement
- Forensic Sciences Division
- Detention Bureau
- About the Detention Bureau
- Detention Operations Division
- Detention Services Division
- Operations Bureau
- About the Operations Bureau
- Patrol Division
- Special Operations Division
- Washoe County Sheriff's Office
For Immediate Release
Washoe County Detention Facility Inmate Passes Away After Being Found Unresponsive
Washoe County Sheriff's Office
On December 17, 2023, at approximately 7:25 p.m., a Washoe County Detention Facility inmate was found unresponsive in their cell by Washoe County Sheriff’s Office Deputies.
Deputies immediately began lifesaving measures, and REMSA and the Reno Fire Department were contacted and responded.
At approximately 7:53 p.m., medical personnel pronounced the inmate deceased.
The cause and manner of the death are pending investigation.
Washoe County Sheriff’s Office Detectives and the Washoe County Regional Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct their formal death investigations, and the Medical Examiner’s Office will release the inmate's name upon next of kin notification.
The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is dedicated to preserving a safe and secure community with professionalism, respect, integrity and the highest commitment to equality. Sheriff Darin Balaam is the 27th person elected to serve as the Sheriff of Washoe County since the Office was created in 1861. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office strives to ensure public safety by building trust and creating partnerships within the diverse communities in which we serve. We will promote the dignity of all people supported by our words and actions through open communication while fostering an environment of professionalism, integrity and mutual respect.