Sheriff's Office

Abandoned Vehicles

In unincorporated Washoe County, anyone may park on any public street, regardless of who owns the home where the vehicle is parked. 

To report a vehicle that is blocking a travel lane or is a safety issue (parked in a red zone, on a blind turn, etc.) contact Non-Emergency Dispatch at:  (775) 785-9276

To report an abandoned vehicle on private property, contact Washoe County Code Enforcement.

To report an abandoned vehicle on public property, use the link below.

Be prepared to provide as much of the following information as possible:

  • Exact location of the vehicle (address it’s parked in front of and/or the street it’s on and the nearest cross street)
  • Color, make, model, and license plate number
  • Anything that stands out visibly, such as damage, flat tires, stickers, etc.
  • Length of time since the vehicle last moved from its current location.

A Washoe County Sheriff's Office representative will then be dispatched to tag the vehicle with a 72-hour warning notice.  

A Washoe County Sheriff's Office representative will verify if the vehicle has moved and may submit the vehicle for towing as necessary. 

Report an Abandoned Vehicle

Choose which Online Reporting System is appropriate

Did the incident occur in:

Unincorporated Washoe County This includes areas like Sun Valley, Spanish Springs, Cold Springs and Incline Village
City of Reno This includes areas like Stead, Damonte Ranch and Downtown Reno
City of Sparks This includes areas like Wingfield Springs and Downtown Sparks
Reno-Sparks Indian Colony This includes areas like the 2nd Street Walmart and Gold Ranch