- Administrative Bureau
- About the Administrative Bureau
- Administrative Division
- Administrative Services Division
- About the Administrative Services Division
- Field Services
- Records Section
- Bail Agent Registration
- Business License
- CARFAX Accident Reports
- Case Requests
- Concealed Weapons Permits (CCW)
- Convicted Persons Registrations
- Criminal History Requests
- Embassy Letters
- Sex Offender/Crimes Against Children Registration
- Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) - For Law Enforcement Personnel Only
- Marijuana Registration Card
- Photo Requests
- Service Charge Schedule
- Work Permits
- Community Engagement
- Forensic Sciences Division
- Detention Bureau
- About the Detention Bureau
- Detention Operations Division
- Detention Services Division
- Operations Bureau
- About the Operations Bureau
- Patrol Division
- Special Operations Division
- Washoe County Sheriff's Office
- Washoe County Sheriff's Office Arrest Suspect for Open Murder in Sun Valley Shooting
For Immediate Release
Washoe County Sheriff's Office Arrest Suspect for Open Murder in Sun Valley Shooting
Washoe County Sheriff's Office
Washoe County Sheriff’s Office detectives charged Billy Orth, 29, of Sun Valley, with open murder in the shooting of a man on February 11, 2023.
At approximately 7:00 p.m. on the evening of February 11, 2023, Washoe County Sheriff’s Office patrol deputies responded to the 4600 block of E. Leonesio Drive for a reported shooting. When Deputies arrived on the scene, they located a man with a gunshot wound. That man was transported to a regional hospital and later pronounced deceased.
Detectives arrived on the scene a short time later and determined that the victim lived in the same residence as Orth.
Detectives say there is no threat to the community and no more outstanding suspects.
The Washoe County Regional Medical Examiner’s Office is conducting the formal death investigation and will release the victim’s name upon next of kin notification.
Anyone with information about this ongoing investigation is asked to contact the Washoe County Sheriff's Office Detective Division at (775) 328-3320 or Secret Witness at (775) 322-4900. Refer to case number: WC23-753.
The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is dedicated to preserving a safe and secure community with professionalism, respect, integrity and the highest commitment to equality. Sheriff Darin Balaam is the 27th person elected to serve as the Sheriff of Washoe County since the Office was created in 1861. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office strives to ensure public safety by building trust and creating partnerships within the diverse communities in which we serve. We will promote the dignity of all people supported by our words and actions through open communication while fostering an environment of professionalism, integrity and mutual respect.