For Immediate Release
Washoe County Sheriff to host Virtual Mental Health Summit Thursday
Washoe County Sheriff's Office
Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam is hosting a Virtual Mental Health Summit this Thursday, May 27, 2021 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The summit, moderated by Connie Wray, continues Sheriff Balaam’s commitment to discussing suicide and depression during Mental Health Awareness Month.
“This May it has been the Sheriff’s Office mission to help our neighbors and fellow law enforcement officers gain insight on how to broach what is widely considered a difficult topic of discussion – depression and mental health,” Sheriff Balaam said. “It is my hope that those who tune in to watch, and participate in, our Virtual Mental Health Summit will be able to identify warning signs, and that if someone needs it – they will know how to ask for help. While this Summit is happening at the end of the month, I believe it will help our community continue these conversations.”
The Virtual Mental Health Summit consists of more than a half-dozen subject matter experts including:
- Rachelle L. Pellissier, MPA; Executive Director, Crisis Support Services of Nevada
- Steven W. Nicholas, Ed.D.; Marriage and Family Therapy; Published Living Ideation: A New Approach to Suicide Prevention and Intervention
- Jeanette Bussey, MSC MFT; Community/Behavioral Health, West Hills Behavioral Hospital
- Marie Wilhelm-Noble, LCSW, CCTP; Director of Clinical Services, West Hills Behavioral Hospital
- Derek Reid; President/Founder, Nevada Peer Support Network; Battalion Chief, Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue
- Sergeant Andrea O’Brien; WCSO Peer Support Team
- Sergeant Brock Kyler; WCSO Peer Support Team
- Ryan Simpson, MFT, NCC; WCSO Staff Mental Health Counselor
- Joshua Wenner; Co-Founder of Valor Warrior Resiliency Programs
You can view the Virtual Mental Health Summit live on the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office Facebook Page, or by clicking this YouTube link.
Send your questions in advance to: SheriffWeb@washoecounty.us
Or post your questions live during the Virtual Mental Health Summit using the comments section.
The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is dedicated to preserving a safe and secure community with professionalism, respect, integrity and the highest commitment to equality. Sheriff Darin Balaam is the 27th person elected to serve as the Sheriff of Washoe County since the Office was created in 1861. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office strives to ensure public safety by building trust and creating partnerships within the diverse communities in which we serve. We will promote the dignity of all people supported by our words and actions through open communication while fostering an environment of professionalism, integrity and mutual respect.