Protect yourself against Ski and Snowboard Theft
While the amount of snowboards and skis stolen vary from year to year, ski equipment is an easy target especially during weekends where a thief could take equipment and easily blend in.
There are steps you can take to protect your gear and valuables this winter season:
- Local resorts recommend keeping your skis/snowboards locked to the rack. Many resorts offer coin operated locks or cable locks can easily be purchased at ski and snowboard shops.
- If you are locking your skis/snowboards to ski racks on cars, make sure the locks can’t be easily removed from the vehicle. Often the car racks are stolen along with the skis/boards.
- If you don’t have a lock available, separate your skis, placing one on the rack and another on a different rack or swap with a friend to make two unmatched pairs. This makes it difficult for the thieves who look for easy targets.
- Try to keep your skis in line of sight as often as possible.
- If you have extra equipment that you store in your car, keep it out of view.
If your skis have been stolen, contact local law enforcement immediately and report it to the resort. It is helpful if you have a picture of your ski’s to give detectives investigating the case.