|Date Issued:||Dec 31, 2018 - 12:19pm|
Deputies locate and arrest suspect in package theft investigation
Washoe County Sheriff's Office
Washoe County Sheriff’s Office deputies located and arrested package theft suspect Anthony Garcia on Saturday night. Earlier this month deputies identified Garcia as a suspect in the theft of a package from a Virginia Foothills home.
Deputies located Garcia in the area of Sutro Street and Wedekind Road shortly before 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 29, 2018. He was taken into custody and booked into the Washoe County Detention Facility on charges related to the investigation.
Package theft is a concern for law enforcement and the public, particularly during the holiday season. Here are some steps residents may take to help prevent package theft:
- Track packages and try to be home when they arrive, or ask a trusted neighbor or friend to pick up the package
- Have packages delivered to your workplace, if possible
- Ask the delivery company to require a signature before leaving
- Have the package held at the delivery company for pickup
- Install security cameras at your home
- Report suspicious activity to law enforcement
The Washoe County Sheriff's Office is dedicated to preserving a safe and secure community with professionalism, respect, integrity and the highest commitment to equality. Sheriff Darin Balaam is the 27th person elected to serve as the Sheriff of Washoe County since the Office was created in 1861. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office strives to ensure public safety by building trust and creating partnerships within the diverse communities in which we serve. We will promote the dignity of all people supported by our words and actions through open communication while fostering an environment of professionalism, integrity and mutual respect.